Sunday, July 4, 2010

Arrival

Only a 4.5 hour flight to make you feel like you left the earth and went to another planet. As we descended, we went through several layers of thick clouds- the last of which took a good few minutes to pass through. Touching down, all to see was green on black, such a beautiful site. The grey sky makes these color more vibrant.

I didn't realize that the international airport is an hour outside Reykjavik, but it is. Thankfully, the bus system is fantastic and they take you right into the city and to your hotel door step, sweet! Things so far have felt easier than I thought they would, but we will see what happens. I arrived a bit after 11 PM Iceland time (4 HRS ahead), and it felt like dusk. It is now 230 AM, and the lighting has not changed. Kind of cool, kind of eerie.

There are trees! More than I thought, as I was expecting hardly any. I met this very nice gentleman on the bus who is from Reykjavik. He had just returned from holiday in Scandinavia. He was telling me how the prime minister had created this huge initiative to plant trees throughout the country. You can see the efforts are fruiting.

This is all for now. I have a meeting around 9AM with people from the Energy Authority, and possibly lunch with one of my contacts, Sverrir, head of engineering in the Iceland GeoSurvey. Both are in the same building; so very convenient!

No comments:

Post a Comment