Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 1- Meeting with the big guys






Iawoke this morning with the same sunlight I went to sleep with. This might take some getting use to... The hostel was very lovely and the folks were very friendly. It will be my home base whenever I pass through Reykjavik, so luckily it is a good one!

I arrived to Grensasvegur 9, home of Iceland GeoServey, Orkustofnun- National Energy Authority, and the United Nations University- School of Geothermal Training, a bit after 9. It was amazing to be inside a building with so much intelligence floating around. I met with Thorgils Jonasson (my contact who arranged the meeting and is in the photos), along with Jonas Ketillsson (Project Manager of Geothermal Development and Research), and Dr. Gundi Johannesson (head of the authority) for several hours. They answered any questions I had and gave me even more information than I expected. One thing they brought to my attention, something I thought about but didn't realize the weight of, is the visual impact of geothermal energy and use. It is the biggest factor in the lack of public acceptance. This is quite interesting from a design point of view and it will be even more interesting to see it for my own eyes. They all want to see the outcome of this project..ha..we shall see what it becomes.

Thorgils was just incredible. He knows practically everyone (he's been at it for 40+ years) and has contacted anyone he knows around the country for me. I am to get in touch with them and they will hopefully become my guides in the near future. I had lunch with Thorgils and Sverrir (GeoSurvey) and it was just wonderful. Icelandic food is not as scary as I thought it would be. They had others join us, one of which is Ingimar- an environmental scientist who teaches at the school. He is taking a trip with some student to Akureyri on Monday. Coincidentally, that is when I will be arriving there also. He has arranged for me to join the class for lectures in the morning, field trips to the geothermal fields in the afternoon, and then to cap it off in a geothermal pool..sweeeeeet! Really looking forward to that. After lunch Sverrir gave me a grand tour of the GeoSurvey sector and happily answered any questions I had along with drawing me some diagrams. After, Thorgils and I had coffee and then he took me to the oldest well in Reykjavik..51 years and still going strong!! It is one of the few that hasn't been renovated with the new sleek looking 'house'. It looks like a little hut painted in red. The new ones are designed by the Danish and are made of silver metal to blend with the silver sky and white and grey buildings. After, we went for a walk and he took me to the place where geothermal water was first used in Iceland..way WAY back in the day. It is what once was a natural spring where women would go and wash clothes. Because of such an extensive use of geothermal since the 20th century, the water table has dropped and such an occurrence no longer exists. It was fascinating!

I have just arrived to Selfoss, a little town about an hour southeast of Reykjavik. The reception guy at City Hostel in Reykjavik is from here, and said it was dreary....I don't see it quite yet. But then again, I am a new body fascinated by the estranged world around me. It probably isn't dreary- I'm convinced that one thinks it is dreary where ever they come from. People have been so very nice thus far. The hostel, Bed and Breakfast is pretty amazing. They are still renovating, and as a result I got my own single room for the price of a shared dorm...score! That was a lucky one- especially since I am staying here the longest. Imagine a hostel gone luxury- sinks in every room, hot tub in the back, a crazy private shower with a radio and jets!...Whoa!

Looking forward to tomorrow. Getting in touch with one of Thorgils contacts to show me the fields of Selfoss and then on to explore the Hengill region.

Image 1: Reykjavik, Grensasvegur 9- home of Iceland GeoServey, Orkustofnun- National Energy Authority, and the United Nations University- School of Geothermal Training
Image 2: Thorgils' office
Image 3: Reykjavik, field trip with Thorgils- one of the city's oldest wells
Image 4: Reykjavik, field trip with Thorgils- Thorgils, at the former washing station
Image 5: Reykjavik, field trip with Thorgils- some abandoned wells in the mix, also at the former washing station

2 comments:

  1. yo cathy d! really smart idea going with the blog. However, I must admit my suspicion of your adventure. Meeting and having lunch with individuals that go by Dr. Gundi, Ketillsson, Thorgils, Sverrir!!!?? I just can't believe this fictional tale through Selfoss, Hengill and Akureyri! I am convinced Harvard has your unconscious body rigged and wired in some dark basement room under that excessively rubbed statue, meeting with virtual, albeit real russian spies with Icelandic names looking to infiltrate our country's future in geothermal technologies! But do not worry my dearest of friends I am on my way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan- You're hilarious!! Thanks for your comment and making me crack up! Yes- come on over to Iceland, they would love to have you :)

    As fictional as it may sound, I don't think my imaginative unconscious could formulate such a strange concoction.. I feel like I'm on another planet but it is pretty incredible. I know you still don't believe me, but I will post pictures that I have taken with a snapshot in my brain and am broadcasting it to you- from my subconscious unconsciousness to yours!

    Hope you are well and are enjoying your summer..miss you buddy!

    ReplyDelete