Sunday, July 11, 2010

Days 6/7- Goodbye Selfoss, Hello Reykholar






Yesterday was my last day in Selfoss. Vladimir let me stay as long as I wanted to- I didn't have to check out at the designated time, which was great! I returned my car rental and then took a nap. The evening before I met Gundur, a woman who was taking the weekend off and a break away from her kids. She was hanging out with Vladimir and his brother, and so I joined them for a beer and we all had a great time and relaxed in the geothermal hot tub. She took me to the local public pool in Selfoss yesterday, which was so wonderful to experience this cultural aspect of geothermal. It is truly embedded in Icelandic culture and their way of life. She was explaining to me how every town has at least one public swimming pool. As every culture, there are particular customs one must follow when using a geothermal Icelandic swimming pool. There are changing stations in a little house right next to the outdoor pool (this is replicated inside as well). The custom is that you strip all the way down and shower- first without your suit and then with your suit on to ensure you are clean before entering. Everything is exposed. It wasn't as awkward as I had thought it would be. Everyone is naked showering together- it was kind of cool to experience. The swimming facility itself has a series of different levels of heated water and steam. The main pool is at a comfortably warm temperature. Then there are a series of hot tubs- all ranging between different temperatures, so you can work your way up if you are brave. Then there is the steam room- I have never been in one so hot! We both lasted maybe 5 minutes in there before running out to take a cool shower right outside. I had a great time and felt so relaxed and loose after. I can see how this may contribute to the high life expectancy Icelanders have (I think its the highest in the world). After we had lunch at a cute little cafe nearby the hostel. We returned back so I could catch my bus, which I ended up missing, but I was glad I did because that just meant I was able to stay and hang out with those guys a little while longer. I signed their guestbook and took it easy, catching up on synthesizing the week's past learnings and findings. Everyone gathered into the common area to watch the soccer game and Vladimir and his brother cooked some dinner and invited me to eat with them. These guys can sure cook! They made a delicious Thai inspired dish- rice with chicken and vegetables in a curry sauce. So good!! I then had to bid farewell to them and headed back to Reykjavik where I spent the night. I don't think any place will be able to compare to the hospitality I had in Selfoss. Dreary? I think not! I had a great time there.
I had to wake up this morning at 6:30 to catch a free bus at 7:00 AM to the bus station, BSI, where all the buses take off from. I got there to only find out I didn't have a bus until 1 PM to come up to Reykholar. In the meantime, I decided to take a couple hour Reykjavik city tour so I could get a brief overview of the city and its history. The guide also spoke about the significance of geothermal in Iceland, which was fantastic to hear and capture. We went to all the major sites and she even pointed out where there were some boreholes. I thought it was pretty great and now I know where to go during my final days to understand the expansion of this city's urbanism through geothermal use.
The bus ride to Reykholar totaled about 4 hours. Reykholar is in the northwest fjord area of Iceland, in the southeastern part. The drive up was absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking. I love driving around an unfamiliar country, especially on a bus where I can just gaze out the window in amazement.
The bus dropped me off right at my hostel (I was the only one on the bus at this point). The hostel is really nice and cute- a little row house with about 10 rooms in a small town of about 120 people. I am in a fjord, surrounded by mountains whose tops are sprinkled with the remaining ice and snow from the winter. Simultaneously, there is geothermal energy being used and steam coming out of the ground. I can finally see with my eyes both fire and ice and how it has actually shaped the very landscape I now find myself in. It is so beautiful here! I was speaking with the host a little bit as she asked me what my purpose was. I explained to her I am visiting the seaweed drying and processing plant here. Turns out she works there! Its at the end of the town, right on the water. I am to meet her boss, Atli, sometime after 11, as he was away on business and wanted to sleep in haha. I am really excited about seeing this place tomorrow and seeing how the operation works.
Directly after, I have to leave for Akureyri, which is difficult by bus from here. My trip will total about 7-8 hours because of the changes I have to make and it also isn't very close. I don't mind though, because I get to see the country and its beautiful landscape this way.
It is almost 1 AM here, and where the sun 'set' is still orange. It is so beautiful as a constant dusk. Tomorrow should be fun and full of surprises!

Image 1: Selfoss swimming pool
Image 2: Reykjavik Tour- A 'state of the art' geothermal well, which is inside that Danish designed house
Image 3: Reykjavik Tour, "The Pearl"- stores a lot of Reykjavik's hot water before being distributed to the city.
Image 4: One way to Reykholar on the bus.
Image 5: Reykholar- The lovely hostel I stayed at in a beautiful location

No comments:

Post a Comment